Plant Systems Biology
Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Fax: (865) 576-9939
- Ph.D., Floriculture & Ornamental Horticulture/Plant Molecular Biology/Plant Breeding. Cornell University, 2003
- M.S., Ornamental Botany, Huazhong Agricultural University, China, 1989
- B.S., Forest Science, Huazhong Agricultural University, China, 1986
- Application of evolutionary genomics to bioenergy and ecological research. Computational functional genomics on genome scale in the evolutionary context, phylogenetic analysis, and genome-wide identification of orthologs and lineage-specific genes.
- Genome/transcriptome sequencing using new sequencing technology.
- Reducing recalcitrance of biomass for biofuel production.
- Improving productivity of biomass for biofuel production: Genetic improvement in drought tolerance and nitrogen utilization.
- Carbon sequestration: Characterization of genes and gene networks associated with carbon allocation and partitioning.
- Yang, X., Kalluri, U.C., Jawdy, S., Gunter, L.E., Yin, T., Tschaplinski, T.J., Weston, D.J., Ranjan, P., and Tuskan, G.A. (2008). F-box gene family is expanded in herbaceous annual plants relative to woody perennial plants. Plant Physiol. Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yuan, J.S., Yang, X., Lai, J., Lin, H., Cheng, Z.-M., Nonogaki, H., and Chen, F. (2007). The endo-beta-mannanase gene families in Arabidopsis, rice, and poplar. Funct Integr Genomics 7: 1-16.
- Yang, X., Tuskan, G.A., and Cheng, Z.-M. (2006). Divergence of the Dof gene families in poplar, Arabidopsis, and rice suggests multiple modes of gene evolution after duplication. Plant Physiol 142: 820-830.
- Yang, X., Scheffler, B.E., and Weston, L.A. (2004). SOR1, a gene associated with bioherbicide production in sorghum root hairs. J Exp Bot 55: 2251-2259.
- Yang, X., Owens, T.G., Scheffler, B.E., and Weston, L.A. (2004). Manipulation of root hair development and sorgoleone production in sorghum seedlings. J Chem Ecol 30: 199-213.