Udaya C. Kalluri
- Ph.D., Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology, Michigan Technological University, 2003
- M.S., Plant Sciences, University of Hyderabad, India, 1999
- B.S., Microbiology, Botany, Chemistry, Osmania University, India, 1997
- Characterization and modeling of biological phenomenon across single cell to whole plant levels using nanotechnology, neutron sciences and computational sciences.
- Plant imaging, analysis and modeling
- Plant cell wall biosynthesis and remodeling
- Genome-enabled study of carbon biosequestration genes
- Molecular mechanism of auxin action and response
- Kalluri UC, Payyavula R, Labbé J, Engle N, Bali G, Jawdy S, Sykes R, Ragauskas A, Tuskan G and Tschaplinski T. (2016) Down-regulation of an endo-β-1,4-glucanase gene impacts carbon partitioning, mycorrhizal colonization and biomass production. Frontiers in Plant Science. In review.
- Bali G, Khunsupata R, Akinosho H, Payyavula RS, Samuel R, Tuskan GA, Kalluri UC, and Ragauskas AJ, (2016) Characterization of cellulose structure of Populus plants modified in candidate cellulose biosynthesis genes. Cellulose. In review.
- Tolbert A, Ma T, Kalluri U, Ragauskas A. (2016) Determining lignin S/G ratio in the vessel and fiber cell walls of transgenic Populus plants" Energy & Fuels. Accepted.
- Davern SM, McKnight TE, Standaert RF, Kalluri UC, Jelenska J, Greenberg J, and Mirzadeh (2016) Carbon Nanofiber Arrays: A Novel Tool for Microdelivery of Biomolecules to Plants. PLoS ONE 11(4): e0153621. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0153621.
- Gopal Vandavasi V, Putnam DK, Zhang Q, Petridis L, Heller WT, Nixon BT, Haigler CH, Kalluri U, Coates L, Langan P, Smith JC, Meiler J, O'Neill H. A (2016), “Structural Study of CESA1 catalytic domain of Arabidopsis thaliana Cellulose Synthesis Complex: Evidence for CESA trimers.” Plant Physiology. 170: 123-135. [Cover Image]. doi:10.1104/pp.15.01356.
- Davison BH, Brandt CC, Guss AM, Kalluri UC, Palumbo AV, Stouder RL, Webb EG (2015), “The impact of biotechnological advances on the future of US bioenergy.” Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining-BIOFPR 9: 454-467.doi:10.1002/bbb.1549.
- Utility patent application filed, ID 3142, GENE IMPACTING BIOMASS FORMATION AND RECALCITRANCE IN POPULUS May 2016
- Seven Invention Disclosures (ID #s 201403408, 201403409, 201403410, 201403411, 201403412, 201403413, 201403414, “Genes A-G Impacting Biomass Properties in Populus” in Year 2014 (October).
- U.S. Patent No. 8,815,780 Issued on 26 August 2014. Filed for U.S. patent in Year 2012. Invention 2211, DOE S-115,242, "Platform for Immobilization and Observation of Subcellular Processes.
- Two Invention Disclosures (ID #s 201303142 and 201303146), “Genes impacting cellulose content, biomass formation and recalcitrance in Populus” in Year 2013.
- Ten Invention Disclosures (ID #s 201102698-201102707, DOE S-124,257- S-124,266), “Genes 1- 10 impacting cell wall biosynthesis and biomass recalcitrance in Populus” in Year 2011.
Awards and Activities
- Significant Event Award, ORNL, 2010
- Organizer, ORNL BESD-NScD cross-Directorate Science Networking Event, July 2010.
- Plant Biology session participant, DOE Ã¢ÂÂKnowledgebase Systems Development Workshop, June 2010.
- ORNL Director's R&D best poster award, Dec 2009.
- Session Chair, ‘Cell wall Architecture and Display’, Gordon Research Conference on Cellulosomes, Cellulases and Other Carbohydrate Modifying Enzymes, July 2009.
- Mentor, Tennessee Governors Academy, 2009
- YWCA Tribute to Women Honoree in Science and Technology Category, Aug 2008.
- Session Chair, ‘Wood Nanobiotechnology’, International Conference on Nanotechnology for Forest Product Industry, June 2008.
- Co-organizer, Workshop on ‘Identification, Curation and Analysis of candidate genes for the Transformation Pipeline’, DOE BioEnergy Science Center Annual Retreat, TN, Feb 2008.
- ORNL Director's Award for Outstanding Team Accomplishment, 2007.
- UT-Battelle Award for Best Scientific Research Team, 2007.
- ORNL Significant Event Award, 2007.
- Seminar Committee member, Biological and Environmental Sciences Directorate, ORNL, 2007-present.
- Annotator, International Brachypodium genome project, 2009 and International Poplar Genome Consortium, 2005.
- Finishing Fellowship, 2003 and Graduate Research Scholarship, Michigan Technological University (MTU) 1999-2002.
- Member, ASPB and IUFRO.
- DOE- Scientific Focus Area proposal on “Plant-Microbial Interfaces”, 10/09-10/12, ~$7.0 million (Co-PI). Pending.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program, “Enabling plant systems biology investigations for carbon cycling and biosequestration research”, 10/09-10/11, $740,000 (PI).
- DOE-GTL Bioenergy Center “BioEnergy Science Center”, 10/08-10/12, $135 million (Co-PI on efforts totaling ~ $2.8 million per year).
- DOE Terrestrial Ecosystems Program, “Genome- Enabled Discovery of Carbon Allocation Genes in Populus”, 10/06-9/09, $4,080,000 (Co-PI).
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Directed Research and Development Program, “Unraveling the regulatory and biosynthetic genes that control cellulose production in the model bioenergy crop, Populus”. 10/06-10/08, $610,000 (PI).
- DOE/BER, “Functional Genomics Approach to Altering Crown Architecture in Populus”, 10/08-10/10, $1,040,000 (Co-PI).